Thursday, May 2, 2013

Existence by Abbi Glines Review


Title: Existence
Author: Abbi Glines
Published: December 13th, 2011 by Wild Child Publishing
Book rating: 3 stars
Cover rating: 4 stars
What happens when you're stalked by Death? You fall in love with him, of course.
Pagan Moore doesn't cheat Death, but instead, falls in love with him.
Seventeen year old Pagan Moore has seen souls her entire life. Once she realized the strangers she often saw walking through walls were not visible to anyone else, she started ignoring them. If she didn't let them know she could see them, then they left her alone. Until she stepped out of her car the first day of school and saw an incredibly sexy guy lounging on a picnic table, watching her with an amused smirk on his face. Problem is, she knows he's dead.
Not only does he not go away when she ignores him, but he does something none of the others have ever done. He speaks. Pagan is fascinated by the soul. What she doesn't realize is that her appointed time to die is drawing near and the wickedly beautiful soul she is falling in love with is not a soul at all.
He is Death and he's about to break all the rules.

I feel as if whenever I read a book by Abbi Glines it's either something I absolutely adore or something that is just blah for me. Existence sadly fell on the blah side for me, I really did want to love this but I just didn't. I feel like it was incredibly rushed, so many scenes felt like they were just skipped over or summed up within a few sentences and I would have preferred actually experiencing those things with both Pagan and Dank. I also feel like because this book was so rushed when something big would happen it would feel really random. With that being said I feel like the plot/layout and pacing of this book could have been a lot better than what it was. The last thing that really bugged me was the insta-love between Pagan and Dank. I mean if a hot, mysterious, sexy guy who can sing walked into my life I'd definitely swoon over him but she went so far to say she loved him and she didn't even really know him. I mean I guess I see why he was drawn to her and her to him after reading the entire story but I feel like the building of their relationship was just none existent and not enough.

Now on to things that I actually really enjoyed about this book, the idea and characters! The idea that a girl falls in love with death is genius. I'm sure similar things have been done but the idea Abbi had behind this book was really something I enjoyed. The characters were really what saved this book for me though. Pagan, Dank, Miranda, Wyatt, and Lief all were truly enjoyable characters. I loved Pagan from the beginning, I like how she seemed a lot more mature than most teenagers and wasn't trying to be cool by doing stupid things or acting stupid. She was such a sweet person and I like how after judging Lief as a person and then finding out that he wasn't what she thought she admitted she was wrong. I don't like how she used Lief though, that was extremely messed up and it made me sad to see her do it for so long. Dank, Dank, Dank. I liked him, he was definitely swoon worthy and I liked how he explained his feelings for Pagan. At first I found him a bit creepy if I'm being honest. He admitted to wanting to rip someones arms off for touching Pagan and honestly that's a bit extreme but he is death after all. Miranda and Wyatt were the cutest little couple ever. I loved how Miranda played the role of best friend to Pagan and I love how she wasn't afraid to be her. Wyatt really added a bit of humor to this book and I liked that. Lief was more of a main character because he was apart of the love triangle but I needed to save him for last. He was enjoyable as a character, I found him to be really sweet and caring towards Pagan and I felt awful for him because she wasn't honest with him throughout the entire book but after that cliff hanger ending I'm not exactly sure how I feel about him. I can't say much more without spoiling it so I'll just leave it at that. 

Overall this book was okay for me, the characters were really enjoyable but the rest of it could have used some work to make this book brilliant. I'm not going to say don't read it, but I would suggest you just borrow it from someone else before buying it yourself. 

Purchase this book on

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: