Friday, May 3, 2013

The Last Hour by Charles Sheehan-Miles Review


Title: The Last Hour
Author: Charles Sheehan-Miles
Published: April 19th, 2013 by Cincinnatus Press
Book rating: 5 stars
Cover rating: 4 stars
Twenty-seven year old Carrie Thompson-Sherman has the life she always wanted: her PhD, a prestigious fellowship, and an amazing husband.

Her life begins to unravel as a jealous colleague puts her fellowship in jeopardy and a haunting secret Ray Sherman carried home from Afghanistan comes to light.

Hounded by a federal investigation and the ensuing media feeding frenzy, Carrie and Ray desperately lean on each other, until a disastrous accident puts both Ray and her sister's lives at risk.

In the last hour, Carrie and Ray will each find themselves faced with a choice.
A choice that will change everything.

I feel like there are no words to describe my love for this book but I'm going to give it a shot anyways. If you haven't seen my reviews for the first two books in this series then I'll just let you know that I truly adored both of those books and I was fully expecting to adore this one as well, but really I ended up dubbing The Last Hour my all time favorite contemporary romance to date and by far my favorite read of the year. If one day I wake up and find out everyone is talking about Charles Sheehan-Miles and his seriously outstanding writing skills I will not be surprised because this man is bound to be famous one day.

The Last Hour is much different compared to the first two Thompson Sisters books but in a very good way. I can't say in what way it is different without spoiling it's awesomeness but just trust me, when you read Charles disclaimer about it in the beginning don't freak out or be scared because what he did with The Last Hour is pure genius. We start out with a huge event, a car crash, and it seems all shit hits the fan but really it's just the cherry on top of a crap life sunday that they've already been dealing with for awhile. You can tell from the blurb that obviously Carrie and Ray are going through a lot and that's evident in the way they're portrayed in the story. The emotion was so intense and the mystery of what's going on and why just about killed me. Charles slowly lets us in on what all has happened to both Carrie and Ray.When Charles explained all that was going on I about lost it, especially when I realized that it could happen in real life. The sadness and reality of Carrie and Ray's story broke my heart.

Charles has this way of crafting great characters and making it truly difficult not to love them, Carrie and Ray without a doubt fall in this category. I loved Carrie in the other two Thompson Sister books and I was extremely excited to spend more time with her and Ray and learn more about their lives and love for each other. Charles truly blew me away with their relationship, it was so haunting and raw. They go through hell together in this book and they still stick by each other and support each other through it all. It was truly inspiring to see two people feel so passionate and so much love for another person. I loved how we got a dual point of view, seeing Carrie through Ray's eyes and Ray through Carrie's was one of the most enjoyable parts of this book. The way Ray describes how he feels about Carrie makes me believe every woman deserves to be loved by a Ray at least once in their life time. The ending to their story left me empty but so full of love all at once, which doesn't even make sense but when you read it you'll understand. It was one of the most bittersweet endings I have ever read. I was really, really mad with Charles at first but then I realized it wouldn't have touched me so much had it not ended the way it did. The ending he gave both Carrie and Ray made their story all the more raw, real, and memorable. To tell you the truth I finished this book over a week ago and I still think about it.

To say I highly recommend you read this book is an understatement, you need to read this book. If you don't read this book in fact, I may just come as a fellow book lover and force you to because it's seriously a book you do not want to miss.

Purchase this book on
Amazon | Barnes & Noble

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous review!!! It took me almost 2 weeks to write my review. This book touched me on more than an emotional level. It is so hard to explain.
    I completely agree with you about Charles writing! I tell everyone about his books. :)
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: