Thursday, January 3, 2013

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor Review


Title: What I Didn't Say
Author: Keary Taylor
Published: April 30th, 2012
Book rating: 4 stars
Cover rating: 4 stars
Getting drunk homecoming night your senior year is never a good idea, but Jake Hayes never expected it all to end with a car crash and a t-post embedded in his throat.

His biggest regret about it all? What he never said to Samantha Shay. He's been in love with her for years and never had the guts to tell her. Now it's too late. Because after that night, Jake will never be able to talk again.
When Jake returns to his small island home, population 5,000, he'll have to learn how to deal with being mute. He also finds that his family isn't limited to his six brothers and sisters, that sometimes an entire island is watching out for you. And when he gets the chance to spend more time with Samantha, she'll help him learn that not being able to talk isn’t the worst thing that could ever happen to you. Maybe, if she'll let him, Jake will finally tell her what he didn't say before, even if he can't actually say it.

First off I'd like to point out that I'm back to blogging and reading! Yay! I got really caught up with school and life and needed to take an unexpected break from blogging and I missed it a lot. Especially the reading part. I had NO clue it had been ONE MONTH. That is pure craziness! One month goes by really fast but I just wanted to thank all of my followers for sticking by and being patient with my absence. Also, I hope you all had a fantastic year and 2013 treats you even better. (:

The first thing that caught my eye with What I Didn't Say was the cover and the title. I came across this book on Goodreads while looking for a good contemporary romance novel and the synopsis of this book had me wanting to read it right then and there. Sadly I couldn't get it right away but when I did I was really excited to read it. Over Christmas/New Years break I started this book and I didn't want to put it down! Sadly I couldn't hole up in my room for a day because I was visiting my Dad/family. I can honestly say this book was a really beautiful story to read. I got so lost in all the emotions it made me feel and I wish I could read it for the first time all over again. The characters were easy to fall in love with and the story was really easy to follow and dive into.

Jake Hayes the main MC was a very fun point of view to read from. I always love reading from male point of view when they're done right and not to mention reading from a male's point of view who becomes mute? That made for a great read. At first Jake comes off as a bit of a douche but soon we learn it's sort of just an act. I think if I was reading from someone else's point of view instead of  Jake's I wouldn't have liked him as much as I did but I really liked him. I loved watching him learn to deal with being mute, I felt awful for him and found myself wanting to jump in the book and give him a big hug and let him know I was routing for him several times. Samantha Shay is the other MC and I loved her! She inspired me throughout the story several times and when I say this girl is strong I mean she is one bad ass kick butt teenager dealing with many things she shouldn't have to and she still lives life to the fullest and smiles every day. It was really enjoyable to come to know her over time and find out why she was the way she was and how she got to where she was in the present. I can definitely see why Jake was in love with the girl and why he started loving her even more as he learned more about her also. I really loved how she wasn't afraid to push Jake and make him see that even though he was punched in the face by this tragic accident life could still be good. Jake and Sam's relationship was so easy to love, I don't see how anyone could read this book and not want them to be together. They're so perfect for each other it's ridiculous really.

The plot of this story like I said before was really easy to get into and follow along. I didn't have any trouble understanding when Keary would jump from the past to the present and I really enjoyed learning about the past while we watched the current events unfold. I'd also just like to throw in how perfect the cover of this book is for the story. If you've read it you'll understand why and if you haven't I strongly encourage you to get your hands on this awesome read.

Thank you to the publishers for sending me a copy to read and review.

Purchase this book on
Amazon | Barnes & Noble

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back!!! Hope you had a great Christmas & New Years!! :) Great review! I've been curious about this book for a while. Might have to pick it up soon after reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Brittani! I did and hope you did too! I really enjoyed it, I think you should give it a shot. (:

      Delete

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: