Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout Review

Title: Opal
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published: December 11th, 2012 by Entangled Teen
Book rating: 5 stars
Cover rating: 4 stars
No one is like Daemon Black.
When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.
But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.
After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.
Together we’re stronger... and they know it.

I first want to express my gratitude to the book blogging community, without all of you wonderful Jennifer fans I wouldn't have started reading this series. A series that truly makes you appreciate YA literature and Jennifer as an author. Huge round of applause goes to you lady because you made the ending of my 2012 EPIC and I rarely use that word! Your talent to put such awesome characters, emotions, and alien awesomeness into words is seriously amazing. 

Every single time I read one of Jennifer's books I'm blown away and Opal did not let me down. After such a cliff hanger ending from Onyx I could not wait to get my book loving hands on this one. The plot of this one was just as action packed as the last two but I feel as if this book had a lot more feels in it. Does that even make sense? With Dawson being back and so much tension between some of the characters such as Dee and Katy there was just a ton of emotions buzzing around every single page I turned. I loved that about Opal, I felt like it made the story even more epic. I know you're all thinking "What?! How is that possible?!" It's true though, it's a billion times more epic with all those feels. I really appreciate all the tension in this book and how Jennifer was able to keep me wondering as a reader "Are they going to make it? Will they be okay?!" but what I love to hate about Opal, I'm sure this isn't a surprise, is the incredibly evil awful amazing super duper awesome sit there and weep while I'm saying every horrendous word in the book cliff hanger. WHY JENNIFER, WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO US. I'm just extremely thankful I don't have to wait too, too long for Origin. 

Oh my dear Katy, I'm secretly crying proud momma bear tears for you. To watch a character grow and mature as much as Katy has makes me so happy and proud. She has been through so much yet she still came out on the other end and she has a very long journey ahead of her but I have no doubt in my mind she can make it. Why? Because I found myself agreeing with everything she decided to do in Opal instead of yelling at her through the book and wanting to slap her in the face. She was an adult when it came to important decisions, she didn't make rash ones out of spite or jealousy or any other emotion that isn't beneficial. The only thing I honestly did not get that irked the living crap out of me was her jealousy of Ashley! Oh my gosh girl, get. over. it. Please for the love of Daemon and his holy body. Yes they have a past but he loves you, he's with you! 

I loved how we got to see more of Dawson in Opal. I've really grown to love and care about him as a character. Every time he'd come around I just wanted to assure him it would be okay, even though he might not want to hear that. He is such a strong person, I honestly don't understand how he could still be in this world after all he had been through and who knows what's in his future? I like the special little bond Katy and Dawson are developing, it makes me get the warm and fuzzies. 

I saved Daemon for last because best always finishes for me. Oh how I love my Daemon. He is such a sweet heart and I love how he is with Katy. In the past two books we've seen Katy and Daemon fight a lot over things they didn't see eye to eye on but in Opal I've noticed they truly have grown as a couple. They talk it out a lot more now and proceed with a decision they've made together as one. "Together we're strong, and they know it." I can't express to you how true that statement is and how it really shines through in Opal. In this book I noticed Daemon assures Katy of his love through actions and words instead of being childish. He still has his sarcastic, ass face moments but we still love him then too. 

To wrap this rant of love up I'm telling you right now to stop what you're doing, go to Amazon or Barnes & Noble etc and buy Obsidian if you haven't started this series. If you have started this series and just haven't gotten to read Opal yet, go get it and read it right now! Whatever you do just read this series because it deserves love and attention, Jennifer is a seriously talented woman and I'm a huge fan. 

 I just wanted to quickly thank Justin @ Justin's Book Blog for gifting me this book! You're an awesome friend. 

Favorite Quotes

To my left there was a blur of brown racing away from me. Most likely a deer or, knowing my luck, a chupacabra. - Katy (I laughed so hard when I read this, love her!!)

Purchase this book on

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: