Friday, May 10, 2013

Forever My Girl by Heidi McLaughlin Review


Title: Forever My Girl
Author: Heidi McLaughlin
Published: December 27th, 2012 Bandit Publishing Company
Book rating: 4 stars
Cover Rating: 3 stars

I was never supposed to be a rock star. I had my life all planned out for me. Play football in college. Go to the NFL. Marry my high school sweetheart and live happily ever after.

I broke both our hearts that day when I told her I was leaving. I was young. I made the right decision for me, but the wrong decision for us. I’ve poured my soul into my music, but I’ve never forgotten her. Her smell, her smile.
And now I’m going back. After ten years. I hope I can explain that after all this time. I still want her to be my forever girl.

Wow, what to say about Forever My Girl. This book was absolutely amazing and really a breath of fresh air for me in the contemporary romance genre. I read this at a time where I was really getting sick of the over used plot lines that we find while reading contemporary romances and wanted something with a unique spin on it. I'd never heard of Heidi McLaughlin before this book but I can say anything she writes is definitely something I, as a contemporary romance lover, will be checking out. She took the same old 'going home and reconnecting with a lost love' plot line and made it her own.

From the beginning I could tell Liam was lost. At first I wasn't sure how I felt about him, I felt bad because you could tell he was in pain but there was so much I didn't know about him. Why did he leave? Why didn't things work out between him and Josie? Those are all questions that really had a part in me judging him as a character. As I got to know him more and I got to see him interact with other characters in the story I grew to love him. He had his flaws but I loved seeing him try. He tried so hard to figure things out and screwed up time and time again but he never gave up until he got what he wanted and righted the wrongs. Josie was annoying. I'm sorry but I'm not sorry. She was selfish, stupid, and even after Liam had proven himself she was still hesitant and selfish. I can't say much without spoiling things for you guys but Heidi throws in a unique twist that I haven't had in one of my past read contemporary romance novels before and I really enjoyed it. Josie was very selfish when it came to this situation though and she was at fault. I completely understand why she'd be hesitant to get back with Liam or try to love again but this had nothing to do with her and Liam. It drove me absolutely bonkers and made me want to slap her. In the end though I enjoyed seeing them get their HEA even though they had to climb over many barriers to do so. Contemporary romance lovers, definitely check this one out!

Purchase this book on
Amazon | Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: