Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess Review


Title: Such a Pretty Girl
Author: Laura Wiess
Published: January 2nd, 2007 by MTV and Pocket Books
Book rating: 5 stars
Cover rating: 5 stars
They promised Meredith nine years of safety, but only gave her three.

Her father was supposed to be locked up until Meredith turned eighteen. She thought she had time to grow up, get out, and start a new life. But Meredith is only fifteen, and today her father is coming home from prison.

Today her time has run out.

 Such a Pretty Girl deals with something that everyone knows is there but noone wants to talk about, rape. This book was dark, twisted, and disturbing but realistic. I'm usually all for reading books about topics that are heavy, this one was just a bit more graphic and difficult to get through. It was a phenomenal book about something so heavy and I feel Wiess did a fantastic job showing how rape affects not only the victim but others around her/him and how differently individuals deal with it. This book was a roller coaster ride, everything happening was insane. It was panicked and scary, I imagine that's exactly what it felt like to be Meredith.

The feelings I have toward Meredith are hard to explain, I felt awful for her. Who wouldn't though? Rape ruins people and changes their lives forever. Meredith was a very strong girl even though she didn't see it. Wiess did a good job showing little details in Meredith's actions as a result of the sexual abuse like her obsession with the number four and other rituals she had. Her mother was a complete asshat to say the least, she was pathetic and weak honestly. I hate to say that because I can't imagine having that happen to my daughter if I ever have one but to have the nerve to ignore it and deny it isn't okay. Her job as a mother is to protect her baby and make sure she's safe, not put her through hell. Meredith's father was a real piece of work, he sickens me. Just thinking about him makes me feel gross. He was a very sick man and it makes me sad to know they let people like him out into the world when they shouldn't all the time. 

I can't say Such a Pretty Girl left me feeling happy or better, I can say I'm glad Meredith was strong and rose above her tragedy though. Such a Pretty Girl isn't for those who like light hearted fluffy reads about unicorns pooping butterflies and rainbows. It's hard and disturbing but it's real. 

Favorite Quotes

"Chirp is dead," I hear myself say and watch the flat words destroy his pleasure. "You killed her, and now you have to deal with me because I'm what's left." I push past him and walk out the front door to the gathering dusk. 

I watched her and said nothing. Silence was the key to self-preservation. 

It's like he's confirmed what I've always known but never gave voice to; when it comes to nightmares, we are truly on our own.

I've been hoping for a save in the last inning but now, when all the outfield chatter has faded and the other players have gone home, the only one stepping up to the plate is me.

Purchase this book on

6 comments:

  1. This book was a very hard read emotionally. As a reader I felt so hopeless. Another book that gripped me this way was Living Dead Girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added Living Dead Girl to my TBR. It sounds amazing! <3

      Delete
  2. I really want to read this book. It looks amazing and I adore the cover. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should, I also LOVE this cover! It's so unique and beautiful. Thanks so much. <3

      Delete
  3. Great review! This one is on my to-read, but I haven't actually decided when I want to read it. I love darker YA books, so perhaps I'll get to it sooner rather than later.

    Angie @ Pinkindle Reads & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was definitely a darker book. I'd move it up my TBR if I were you. ;)

      Delete

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: