Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover Review


Title: Hopeless
Author: Colleen Hoover
Published: December 19th 2012 
Book rating: 5 stars
Cover rating: 5 stars
Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…
That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.
Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

Before I start this out I'd like to warn you it's going to be long, heartfelt, and very emotional. I first read Colleen's work (Slammed and Point of Retreat) last summer at my Dad's. I had just been really getting back into reading then and they definitely were a part of starting my blog and joining the reading community online. I loved them so, so much and her writing blew me away but with Hopeless I know for a fact I can't even find the words to describe how truly amazing this work of art is. It definitely shot Colleen up my list of authors to the tippy top with Ellen Hopkins. Reading is usually an escape for me but sometimes I'll find a rare book that I take something from, usually a lesson or piece of advice that helps me in life and gives me hope. Contrary to this books title it left me the opposite, full of hope. I've been reading almost nothing but NA Contemporary lately and it has gotten really old but Hopeless was so unique and different. It was a refreshing read and just what I needed.

I fell in love with Sky the minute she let me into her head, she is so much like me and so different at the same time. I promise you if she was real I'd be her best friend, her outlook on life and others around her is amazing. The fact that she doesn't let stupid bashing high school drama heads get to her and the fact that she is herself and doesn't care what others think is admirable to say the least. I love her relationship with her best friend Six, who is equally amazing. The banter between them and easy going humor filled relationship is so perfect, it was an element in this book that made me love it so much more. It's been said a million times and it will be said a million more, Dean Holder is one hot hunk of man that is hard not to love. Every girl says Holder is hers but really he's Sky and I envy her but at the same time I'm so happy she found him. The more I read these books the higher my expectation of my future husband gets. His feelings for Sky and how passionate he is about everything in his life is awesome for lack of a better word. He was so fun to get to know and I'm excited to see more of him in Losing Hope, the companion to Hopeless. To explain what goes on in this book is to give it all away, so I can't do that. If anyone were to talk about this book in detail it would ruin it. The secret, the big bomb that's always waiting to drop in these books is so unique and unexpected. Colleen truly made Hopeless her own and something new, I applaud her for that. Sky and Holder's relationship is undeniably one of my all time favorite love stories ever and it will remain that way for forever. The love they feel for each other feels so true and real that it's hard not to wish you had your own Holder. They're connection is so blatantly obvious and they make me believe in soul mates and happily ever afters. When shit really hit the fan they didn't abandon each other, they didn't push each other away which is so common, they stuck together and helped each other through it. This wasn't just another one of those typical relationships you see in almost every NA Contemporary novel, it was unique and perfect and so amazing.

The ending of this book blew me away, I wasn't expecting what Colleen dropped in my lap as she was ripping my heart out and throwing it to the wolves. If I had expected such an emotional crazy story I would have grabbed myself some tissues and chocolate, holed up in my room, and then ignored everyone until I was done with it. Instead I found myself sobbing on the couch trying to explain to my mother why exactly I was such an emotional mess. The ending is so bittersweet for me, Colleen manages to twist so many lives and little details together in one book it's impossible to know what's coming next. In the end I was so sad for so many people but so full of hope that life can go no. Even though this is a fictional story their is so much truth within this book. Life is complete shit sometimes and sometimes you don't feel like you can make it through but you can and you shouldn't ever forget that because even when there's nothing but ugly surrounding you, remember that there's always a tiny bit of beauty in the world. To say that this is a must read in my book is an understatement of the century. If you don't read this book and give it a try, you're insane. Thank you Colleen, for leaving me breathless and sharing yet another work of art neatly tucked in-between pages for me to devour. I will be patiently waiting for you to craft another piece of perfection for me to read.

Favorite Quotes

"It's real, Six. You can't get mad at a real ending. Some of them are ugly. It's the fake happily ever afters that should piss you off." ~ Sky (page 107)

"I want your first kiss to be the best first kiss in the history of first kisses." ~ Holder (page 150)

"I'm not going to wish for a perfect life. The things that knock you down in life are tests, forcing you to make a  choice between giving in and remaining on the ground or wiping the dirt off and standing up even taller than you did before you were knocked down." ~ Sky (page 475)

Plus so many more but my list would be endless, pretty sure this is one of my most highlighted ebooks!

Purchase this book on
Amazon | Barnes & Noble

5 comments:

  1. I love the first quote you picked out. I am tempted to pick the book up on that alone but your review is fabulous!! I'm glad Justin mentioned you because I will be trying to stop by more often!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many more awesome quotes, my review would have been a mile long though! I hope you do get to read this, I really loved it! Thank you so much! <3

      Delete
  2. Amazingly great review! I've seen Colleen Hoover's books mentioned everywhere lately, but I just thought it was another hype, so I brushed it off. But your review really, really made me want to read Hopeless. You make it sound simply awesome, and it's like the emotions is already coming at me! I hope I'll get to read it some time soon. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not just hype, I promise you that. She has AMAZING talent!! I hope you get to read them soon also!! Thank you for this awesome comment!

      Delete
  3. I read this too, but Maybe Someday will always be my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: