Saturday, February 23, 2013

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead Review


Title: Vampire Academy
Author: Richelle Mead
Published: August 16th, 2007 by Razorbill
Book rating: 4 stars
Cover rating: 3 stars
St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger...
Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.

 What is there to say about this book that hasn't already been said? It wasn't perfect, but it was still awesome. I've been told by two family members and several friends I needed to read the Vampire Academy series and I put it on the back burner. Why? I have so many other books on my shelf/kindle to be read and frankly sometimes I'm scared to read vampire novels nowadays because so many things are over used. I regret putting this book on the back burner! Vampire Academy was action packed and full of fun surprises, definitely an enjoyable read. I love how there wasn't really a dull moment, I love how the action scenes were done, I love how the lust (?) story between Rose and Dimitri didn't become over bearing or a main point. I really appreciated that Richelle stuck to the point of this book. Keeping Lissa safe and Rose becoming independent and what she wanted.

The characters in this book were awesome. Rose was such a kick ass chick! She wasn't afraid to get dirty if need be to keep her best friend safe. She risked her life and is so willing to just give up the freedom of being a care free teenager to keep Rose safe. After reading this book I've now decided I want a best friend like Rose Hathaway. Lissa was such a lucky girl, I liked how we got to see a vulnerable side of Lissa in this book. I also like how trusting she was, having faith in Rose was always there in her mind. I also liked how Lissa tried to take care of Rose, even if it was in a kind of messed up way at times, especially since she was in such a bad place. Dimitri was definitely swoon worthy, his mysterious hard facade he almost always had made him really intriguing. You can tell he's been through a lot of rough things in his life with only a tiny glimpse into his past. I'm hoping we get to learn more about him in the future books because I really liked him. I must say my favorite male character was Christian. Is that weird? I could care less. He was creepy and weird in his own little way but I loved how real he was. He called Lissa on her bs and he opened her eyes. He didn't hesitate to be there for her when she needed him and I think he's truly good for her. I'm hoping he sticks around and doesn't turn into a psycho like everyone predicts. 

The world building was good in the book, the only thing I got confused with was all of the terms and how it worked. In some parts I had to reread what was being said to fully understand how the whole Dhampir/Moroi/Strigoi thing worked. Especially when it came to the explaining about the mating part. I must admit I've started Frostbite already and in the beginning it's explained in a much simpler way which I'm thankful for. Maybe it was just me being a blonde, I don't know. Overall I really enjoyed this book and recommend those who love action, vampires, and a little romance to check it out. 

Purchase this book on

2 comments:

  1. I don't usually read vampire books, but for some reason I'm a sucker for books with the word 'academy' in the title... plus your review makes me think I might like it :) And the girl on the cover is SO Angelina Jolie like 10 yrs ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS made me laugh! It so does! I didn't even notice!!! I think you would, I really loved the second. I hope you give it a chance!

      Delete

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: