Monday, February 25, 2013

Frostbite by Richelle Mead Review

Title: Frostbite
Author: Richelle Mead
Published: April 10th, 2008 by Razorbill
Book rating: 5 stars
Cover rating: 4 stars
Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose...

It’s winter break at St. Vladimir’s, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy’s crawling with Guardians—including Rose’s hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn’t bad enough, Rose’s tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason’s got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa’s head while she’s making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy’s not taking any risks... This year, St. Vlad’s annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.

But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price... 

Frostbite gets five fabulous frustrating stars. My God was I going bonkers while reading this book, seriously! A good bonkers, but bonkers all the same. Frostbite was one of those books that has you yelling at the characters, things like "STOP, I KNOW WHAT'S COMING. JUST STAY PUT AND LISTEN FOR ONCE." and of course the characters don't listen because they're simply fictional characters that can't be rewritten. Either way this book was amazing, even better than Vampire Academy in my opinion. If you liked the action in Vampire Academy you'll love it in this because it's multiplied in every way imaginable. More kick ass Rose scenes, more steamy Dimitri scenes, and man oh man do Christian and Lissa get a bit frisky. I really enjoyed the pacing of Frostbite, I flew through it (literally read the whole book on Saturday) and I'm dying for the third.

With sequels new characters are always risky, some can be pointless and others feel forced. With Frostbite I really enjoyed all of the new characters Richelle introduced to us. Tasha, Christian's aunt, is introduced to us which is really cool. I really wanted to learn more about him and we get to! Whenever you hear about this series you hear about the infamous teams! Team Aiden or Team Dimitri? Well we finally get to meet this Aiden guy that's so famous and he's pretty freaking cool if you ask me. I'm not sure if I'm swooning over him yet, we'll have to see if he charms me as his character shows throughout the books. We also learn a lot more about Lissa and her 'abilities', so far I'm feeling lucky I'm not in her situation. We also get to see more of Rose and her kickassness(?)! I love her and all of her flaws, she's just a really cool chick. We see her go through some insane things in this book and grow up a bit which I really enjoyed. The world of the vampires is explained in a much simpler way and I feel comfortable that I can keep track of what's going on now, which is always a plus. 

Frostbite was an emotional roller coaster  it had me on the edge of my seat (couch) the entire time and I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend this frustratingly awesome book to all you vampire/paranormal lovers out there. I'm now going to crawl back into my hole and wait until I can go get the rest of the series from my cousin.

Favorite Quotes

"By the way, my name's Rose Hathaway. I'm seventeen years old, training to protect and kill vampires, in love with a completely unsuitable guy, and I have a best friend whose weird magic could drive her crazy.
Hey, no one said high school was easy."

"You can't force love, I realized. It's there or it isn't. If it's not there, you've got to be able to admit it. If it is there, you've got to do whatever it takes to protect the ones you love."

Isaiah rolled his eyes. "Good God. What a Noble lot. You're all Spartacus, aren't you?" 

Purchase this book on

2 comments:

  1. I borrowed this series from my sister one book at a time and I was going out of my mind waiting for each installment. Now I own them! There are some books you just have to have on your shelf.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: