Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski Review

Title: The Edge of Never
Author: J.A. Redmerski
Published: November 15th, 2012 by Createspace
Book rating: 4 stars
Cover rating: 4 stars
Twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett had always been one to think out-of-the-box, who knew she wanted something more in life than following the same repetitive patterns and growing old with the same repetitive life story. And she thought that her life was going in the right direction until everything fell apart.
Determined not to dwell on the negative and push forward, Camryn is set to move in with her best friend and plans to start a new job. But after an unexpected night at the hottest club in downtown Raleigh, North Carolina, she makes the ultimate decision to leave the only life she’s ever known, far behind.
With a purse, a cell phone and a small bag with a few necessities, Camryn, with absolutely no direction or purpose boards a Greyhound bus alone and sets out to find herself. What she finds is a guy named Andrew Parrish, someone not so very different from her and who harbors his own dark secrets. But Camryn swore never to let down her walls again. And she vowed never to fall in love.
But with Andrew, Camryn finds herself doing a lot of things she never thought she’d do. He shows her what it’s really like to live out-of-the-box and to give in to her deepest, darkest desires. On their sporadic road-trip he becomes the center of her exciting and daring new life, pulling love and lust and emotion out of her in ways she never imagined possible. But will Andrew’s dark secret push them inseparably together, or tear them completely apart?

 When I started The Edge of Never I honestly had no clue what to expect. It being my first (kind of?) road trip book, I say kind of because it wasn't set on the road throughout the entire book, and hearing almost every single person I follow on Goodreads rave about it I was excited to see what J.A. created for me and I was not disappointed. I was instantly mad at myself for not participating in the tour when I had the chance! The story line and plot were so easy to follow and get invested in, I had no trouble at all reading this and I couldn't put it down. It was definitely fun to read my first road trip book and I can see why so many people like them, I'm really excited to read more. I loved how it was set in several different places but it wasn't too many to get confused with. I especially loved it being set in Wyoming for even a pretty small amount of time because that's my home state! I also really appreciated the dual point of view, I think if it would have been from just Camryn's or Andrew's it would have really taken away from the book.

The characters were really well developed and I was invested in them from the beginning. Camryn made my heart ache, I wanted so bad for her to just feel better and be happy. You could tell from the beginning that she was struggling and it was so heart warming to watch her show herself to the world and become more comfortable with just being her and not giving a damn what anyone thought. I especially loved how she could completely be herself around Andrew and how he accepted her and encouraged her 24/7. Andrew was definitely swoon worthy. Who doesn't love a tall, handsome, tattooed, caring, loving, and fun guy? I have no clue. Andrew was such a mysterious guy at first and once I found out he was from Wyoming I was done for. I loved how he was so honest with Camryn from the beginning and how protective he was, how he always looked out for her. I loved how he cared about Camryn and how easily he came undone when she was around. The way he accepted her for who she was, helped her become herself, and love herself was so sweet. As people alone they had issues but when they were together and there for each other it just worked. I'm not sure how else to put it. J.A. just really made me see and believe that Cam and Andrew were meant for each other. 

Overall I found The Edge of Never heartbreaking, beautiful, and really enjoyable! It was a perfect break for me because I finally got a book with a happy ending instead of some frustrating cliff hanger. I highly recommend this book to those who are fans of contemporary standalone novels or those who had the same problem as me with reading way to many books with cliffhanger endings! Oh and just a friendly reminder, bring your tissues because I cried a few times.

Favorite Quotes

“I don’t think you ever really fall out of love with someone. I think when you fall in love, like true love, it’s love for life. All the rest is just experience and delusions.”

“…dwelling and planning is bullshit,” he says. “You dwell on the past, you can’t move forward. Spend too much time planning for the future and you just push yourself backwards, or you say stagnant in the same place all your life.” His eyes lock on mine. “Live in the moment.”

Purchase this book on

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: