Friday, November 30, 2012

The Struggle by L.J. Smith Review


Title: The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries #2)
Author: L.J. Smith
Published: October 26th, 2010 by HarperCollins
Book rating: 3 stars
Cover rating: 2 stars
A Love Triangle of Unspeakable Horror...Damon
Determined to make Elena his queen of darkness, he'd kill his own brother to possess her.
Stefan
Desperate for the power to destroy Damon, he succumbs to his thirst for human blood.
Elena
Irresistibly drawn to both brothers, her choice will decide their fate.
The terrifying story of two vampire brothers and the beautiful girl torn between them.

I'm determined to finish this series because I want to know what the book version of this story is, I guess it's the original version. Anyways, The Struggle wasn't much better from The Awakening but I did like it a tiny bit more. I think the fact that Elena started coming out of her shell and sort of stopped being an oober whining attention whore helped and I also was really excited to have Damon featured more in the story! I've decided that although I'm still Team Damon and always will be I really like Stefan in the books, I like how he's more open about what he is and although he tries to fight his true nature as a vampire throughout the books he doesn't try to deny the fact of his true nature or what he is. For instance, in this book he slips up at one point and when a certain someone asks him about it and figures out it was him he openly lets them know it was and says that's all the more reason said person should just stay away. Meredith, one of Elena's bestfriends, along with Bonnie have both grown very mysterious in this book and I'm really curious to see what's going on with both of them. It hasn't been openly said that Bonnie is an actual witch but it's obvious she has some sort of power and it has this awful side affect, I really want to know exactly what is taking over her body and that has me really interested in the plot. Meredith being so mysterious and us finding out something odd is going on with her family that her two bestfriends don't even know about really had me wanting to read more also. Sadly we didn't really find out in this book exactly what was going on!

The plot of The Struggle is a bit smoother than The Awakening's plot was but it's still a bit choppy. Also, I really am not to fond of L.J. Smith just ending each book with some insane cliff hanger because it doesn't really make any sense to me. I have the ebooks so I get the first two chapters of the next book at the end of the previous one but what if the person has physical copies and doesn't have the next? I get it's probably some odd way to try and get people to buy the books but I just find it extremely annoying. 

All of that being said, I liked this book a bit more than last and I'm excited to find out what is going to happen in the next book! It seems this series might just get better as it goes on, at least that's what I'm hoping!

Purchase this book on

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: