Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce Review



Title: Sisters Red
Author: Jackson Pearce
Published: June 7th, 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Book rating: 4 stars
Cover rating: 5 stars
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?
I finally got to finish Sisters Red and I'm so excited to review it! I really, really liked this book. It was a bit different than I expected it to be but I really like how Jackson took the story and made it her own but still included the fun parts of Little Red Riding Hood. 

Scarlett and Rosie March are sisters who have had this undeniable bond all of their lives but it changes after the attack when Scarlett lost her eye and really any ounce of normal while defending her sister Rosie from a fenris. Fenris are very similar to werewolves, they don't have souls though and they just mainly target younger teenage girls that Scarlett refers to as dragonflies. Scarlett's heart and soul are dedicated to protecting others from the fenris and trying to rid the earth of them. Rosie feels as if she owes her life to Scarlett for saving her so she hunts with her sister even though she longs for something else, something more. Now before I go any farther I'd like to address and issue, Scarlett comes off as very 'possessive' in this book and many people find it creepy or overbearing. From a personal stand point I don't see her as possessive, I see her as a girl scared of losing the two people she has left. I think all along Scarlett knew deep down that Rosie wanted more and she was afraid of losing her. I really liked Scarlett as a character, I feel like she was so wrapped up in her world she didn't really see what was going on with Rosie or realize what she was doing unintentionally to those around her so I really liked seeing her grow throughout the book. Rosie is such an innocent soul, I felt sort of bad for her throughout the book. She struggled so much to get out from under the pressure and feeling of owing her life to Scarlett. Silas was definitely swoon worthy in this book, who doesn't love a tall handsome guy who can swing an ax and kick some fenris butt? I really liked him as a character too, I kind of wish we could have gotten to know him as a person and about his past a bit more. I loved watching Silas and Scarlett fall in love, it was like that cute new love. 

The plot of this book was actually really enjoyable and paced perfectly. I've read a few reviews on this book and so many people said they saw the 'big thing' coming but I honestly didn't. I guess I was either way too wrapped up in the story or clueless! This book definitely had a lot of action, if it didn't it would be the worst fenris/werewolf book ever. I loved reading about all of the kick ass ninja skills Rosie, Scarlett, and Silas had. It was really detailed and I could picture it all in my head. I honestly could see this book being made into a movie. I really enjoyed it and I'm eager to get the other two books Sweetly and Fathomless. (:

Purchase this book on
Amazon  | Barnes & Noble

P.S. A hardback copy of Sisters Red is still on sale for $6.80 on Amazon. Killer price!

1 comment:

  1. I've seen some mixed reviews for this, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! Scarlett sounds like she grows a lot, and I really like seeing that in characters. Wonderful review, Kylie! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: