Sunday, November 25, 2012

Hidden by P.C. and Kristin Cast Review


Title: Hidden
Authors: P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast
Published: October 16th, 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin
Book rating: 3 stars
Cover rating: 3 stars
At last, Zoey has what she wanted: the truth is out. Neferet's evil has been exposed, and the High Council is no longer on her side -- but she's far from done wreaking havoc in the vampyre world. First, a mysterious fire ravages the stables. Then, Neferet makes a devastating move that will test them all.
With the seeds of distrust sown and Darkness breeding chaos at the House of Night, everyone must band together -- but that's proving to be more difficult than ever before. The twins are barely speaking and the House of Night's former enemy, Kalona, has now become their warrior, pushing their trust to the limit. To top it off, Zoey is pretty darn sure she might be losing her mind. She saw something when she looked at Aurox through the Seer Stone that she can hardly explain to herself, let alone her friends. Is it possible that Heath has come back in a different form? Is that why Zoey's so intrigued by Aurox, when it's so obvious that he's dangerous? And who would believe her if she told them? Zoey knows that following her instinct about Aurox might be just what they need to defeat evil . . . but if she's wrong, it could cause the destruction of those closest to her.
With the tension at a breaking point and friendships on the line, can the nerd herd come together to stop the spread of Darkness before it's too late?

I know, I know. Am I really still reading this series? Despite how utterly annoyed I am they still haven't ended this series I will always, always love the House of Night novels. Why you may ask? Simply because they are my Twilight. What do I mean by that? Most people claim that Twilight is the reason they are die hard fans of YA today or that Twilight got them into reading hard core again. Well, believe it or not that is what the House of Night novels did for me and I'm eternally grateful.

 About a year ago my cousin recommended I read these books while I was staying with her over some week long break from school. I literally read all 8 of the books that were out at that time within that week and I was obsessed with this series for the longest time! I told everyone about it because these books were so unique and different from anything that I had ever read at the time. They were adventurous, a little dirty, funny, stupid, and awesome packed in one big giant punch. I could not wait for Destined to come out. When it finally did it was a huge disappointment for me. It's like I had waited so long for this book of awesomeness and I sped through it, after turning the last page I was thinking "Really? Is that really even considered a book?? What have they done?!" It's like they just slapped a bunch of words into a novel and called it good, nothing remotely awesome happened and it really sucked. 

So finally I got my cousin to lend me her kindle long enough to read her copy of Hidden and I must say that this book was a lot better than the last but definitely not what I was hoping for. I have missed all of the characters in this story no matter how stupid, whorey, ignorant, or childish they all can be because for some odd reason it just works! The plot of this story is pretty predictable, Neferet tries to kill people and dominate the world and when the nerd herd finds out they try to swoop in and save the day. Nothing too surprising happened in this book, but when they brought he who shall not be named (Harry Potter reference for the win) back and then after everyone finally found out, just ended the book it had me wanting to beat them in the heads. Also, what the hell is up with all of Aphrodite's issues in this book? She's calling people retard and fucktard, dropping the eff bomb/any other curse word like there's no tomorrow, and now she's become an alcoholic? I'm not sure if this was an attempt at trying to liven up the book or what but it failed and not in an epic way. You're making one of my favorite flawed characters even more ugly and hateful a person than she was before. It's like she's becoming the person she pretends to be to hide the goodness inside and it's making me want to barf. I must say though I really like this new Shaylin character and how witty and strong willed she is, I also think her power from Nyx is pretty bad ass. As for the other characters, nothing too new with any of them besides us getting to see the twins broken up a bit more and Erin become a complete sleeze. Shaunee as a single person is so awesome though, I really enjoyed reading from her point of view and Kalona's the most. Speaking of Kalona, I really liked watching him evolve as a person and character throughout this book and I'm so excited to see what happens to him in the next two books. 

I'm not really sure what else to say about the plot/storyline but I do feel the need to rant a bit. I pray to Goddess (yes I just did that) that they end this series with just two more books as I feel they could have ended it in much less than 10. I honestly don't understand why or how they've dragged it out for so long and I feel as if I could have enjoyed this series a lot more if they wouldn't have but like I said in the beginning of this really jumbled rant/review I will always love these books for the simple fact that they reminded me of my passion and love for reading and YA books!

Purchase this book on

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: