Friday, September 28, 2012

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang Review


Title: What's Left of Me
Author: Kat Zhang
Published: September 18th, 2012
Book rating: 5 stars
Cover rating: 5 stars

I should not exist. But I do.
Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .
For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.
 I always see and hear people complaining about how over used plots and story lines are in Dystopian novels these days. I'm here to let you know that I have never read nor heard of anything like What's Left of Me. It's so unique in every single way and I fell in love with this book from the moment I started reading!

I feel like this review might be a bit shorter than others because I don't want to give any of this story away. It was so good for me I feel like you just need to read it to find out about Eva and Addie's story. I found this book while searching on Goodreads one day and I am so glad I did. It's such a beautiful story about two souls just trying to be there own even though they fear losing each other and everything they care about all while trying to help others along the way. At first I thought What's Left of Me was just going to be a book about Eva trying to gain control of her and Addie's body again but it wasn't, thank God! It was so much more! Zhang kept surprising me with crazy, but awesome, twists and turns. I was never bored and literally couldn't put this book down, I had to force myself to go to bed and by then it was already four in the morning! The characters were all really rounded, although we didn't get to know all of them fully I feel like we were given the right amount of information about all of them to want to read the second book and find out more. I love both Eva and Addie, at first I thought Addie was being really selfish but at one point in the book Zhang helps us realize how unfair the situation is for her too. Even though she is the one who is the most dominant soul, she still is never alone just like Eva and she still was willing to risk literally everything so Eva could gain some control back somehow. I think that is very brave of Addie to do and I was so proud to see her grow and mature and be so selfless throughout the book for Eva. I also adore Eva because of how patient she was with Addie, she never intentionally tried to push too much and when she did she always apologized and tried to give Addie her space. I also appreciate how both of the characters weren't perfect all the time, they did fight and disagree about things from time to time. At times I thought that Addie would tell Eva they needed to just go back to how it was before but she still pushed through. I feel like the fact that both of them broke down at times made it feel more real for me, no one is perfect and I honestly don't believe they could have both gone through what they did without feeling some kind of negative emotion. I feel like both of them grew closer than they were before and both matured throughout the story and that's one of my favorite things to do; to be able to watch a character grow into a better person. What's Left of Me was easily one of my top five favorite reads of 2012 and I highly recommend you all read this book! I'm looking forward to more of Kat Zhangs work! (:

P.S. Isn't the cover just stunning? The jacket for my book is beautiful. 

Favorite Quotes

“Addie was warm and radiant next to me, making up half of us. But I - I was Eva, Eva, Eva, all the way through.” - Eva

Purchase this book on

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you enjoyed What's Left of Me. I honestly hadn't thought much about reading it, but maybe I should give it a try. Great review, Kylee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, it was really good! Thank you so much. (:

      Delete
  2. I won this from a giveaway a while ago and still haven't read it, school's got me all busy -.- Your review just makes me want to bang my head against a wall and wish it was still summer xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh. This comment made my lifeeeee! It's so amazing, I hope you get to read it soon. <3

      Delete

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: