Saturday, June 1, 2013

This Girl (Slammed #3) by Colleen Hoover ARC Review


Title: This Girl
Author: Colleen Hoover
Published: April 30th, 2013 by Atria Books
Book rating: 5 stars
Cover rating: 4 stars
There are two sides to every love story. Now hear Will’s.
Colleen Hoover’s New York Times bestselling Slammed series has brought countless readers to their knees with a whirlwind of love, passion, and heartache.

Layken and Will’s love has managed to withstand the toughest of circumstances and the young lovers, now married, are beginning to feel safe and secure in their union. As much as Layken relishes their new life together, she finds herself wanting to know everything there is to know about her husband, even though Will makes it clear he prefers to keep the painful memories of the past where they belong. Still, he can’t resist his wife’s pleas and so he begins to untangle his side of the story, revealing for the first time his most intimate feelings and thoughts, retelling both the good and bad moments, and sharing a few shocking confessions of his own from the time when they first met.
In This Girl, Will tells the story of their complicated relationship from hispoint of view. Their future rests on how well they deal with the past in this final installment of the beloved Slammed series.

If you're thinking this is some pointless retelling of the same story you read and I'm sure loved about Will and Lake, you are wrong. If you're thinking you need to read this because it's awesome, just like everything else Colleen Hoover writes, then you are right. If you think it's impossible to fall even more in love with Will Cooper you are wrong, don't worry though so was I with this one and I'm glad. About a year ago I was randomly scrolling through my kindle recommends section and I saw the original cover of Slammed. It sounded interesting and it was a good deal so I figured what the heck. I bought Slammed on a whim and I stayed up until 5 in the morning finishing that book because it was THAT good. The same exact thing happened with Point of Retreat the next night. I admit when I first heard Colleen was writing Slammed in Will's POV I was skeptical but I knew I still wanted to read it, especially after she assured us there was going to be extra content we hadn't read. This Girl was so much more than I expected it to be and I expected a lot.

Seeing Will and Lake's story come to life in Will's mind in his own poetic words was breathtaking and so, so beautiful. I notice with a lot of Mature Young Adult books most of the male characters are bad boys. Now don't get me wrong because I love me some bad boys in my books but Will Cooper is such a sweet and refreshing male character. You can feel his love for Lake, Caulder, and Kel and it just fills you with this happiness because you know it's so genuine and true. I must admit I found myself wishing at times that we got to see more of Lake and Will together in the present. We get snippets of the present which is their honeymoon and I loved that. I loved seeing them married and finally together getting the happy ever after they deserved. I loved seeing Lake so happy and content with her life because if you've read Slammed and Point of Retreat we all know what hell she has been through along with Will. We didn't only get new information and content from the present though, Lake wasn't always with Will during Slammed and PoR so seeing things from Will's POV let us see what happened when she wasn't around and find out some very juicy details that even Lake doesn't know about until This Girl. I really enjoyed this and found it added more appeal to the story and kept me reading. Julia still managed to break my heart with a retelling of events from Slammed and POR but also managed to break my heart and be one of the most inspiring mother's I've ever read about after her death. I don't know how this woman did it but she thought of everything, when I say everything I mean everything. I don't understand how she was so prepared for death but she was still a wonderful mother to both Lake and Kel along with Will and Caulder after she was gone and it broke my heart and made me cry like a baby. I loved having Kel, Caulder, Kiersten, Gavin, and Eddie add the humor I needed to get through some of the more heart breaking parts of this story. They managed to keep me in high spirits through the bad parts and I only shed a few tears, until the very end of course, where I sobbed happy tears.

 Colleen is a genius when it comes to writing love stories. I wasn't sure how she was going to end Will and Lake's story but somehow she managed to make it into a sort of beginning and not piss me off. I know that Will and Lake have a wonderful future ahead of them and I'm going to miss all of these characters more than I can express. The Slammed Series is always going to be one of my all time favorite series and I will always be a huge fan of Colleen as a person and as an author, she's simply butterflying awesome in every way possible.

Thank you to Atria Books and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this amazing book to read and review. 

Purchase this book on
Amazon | Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: