Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Awakening by L.J. Smith Review


Title: The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries #1)
Author: L.J. Smith
Published: March 1st, 2010 by HarperCollins
Book rating: 2 stars
Cover rating: 2 stars (Ian Somerhalder is the only reason I like it at all.)
A deadly love triangle
Elena: beautiful and popular, the girl who can have any guy she wants.
Stefan: brooding and mysterious, desperately trying to resist his desire for Elena . . . for her own good.
Damon: sexy, dangerous, and driven by an urge for revenge against Stefan, the brother who betrayed him.
Elena finds herself drawn to both brothers . . .
who will she choose?

I was not impressed with this book at all and I really, really wanted to like it but it just didn't work for me. I did compare this book to the television series quiet a few times but I'll be focusing on issues I had with this book as a whole. 

First off my dearest Elena, can I please smack you in the head with something heavy a few times? She is far too bitchy, stuck up, and snobby for my liking. In the beginning of the book when Stefan first arrives at school, he walks past her and doesn't look at her. Her response was "Oh my gosh, everyone looks at me. Why didn't he look at me? What an ass!" Hmm, maybe because you're not the center of attention and you're not some all mighty god? Of course those aren't the reasons why but still, are you really so full of yourself you worry about petty things like people not looking at you? Please, grow up and then come back to me. I don't particularly like Stefan in the show but I found him a bit more likable in the books which is surprising for me. I'm not sure exactly why I like him more in the books, I guess so far I find him a bit less fake and less of a hypocrite. I also really like Matt, he's such a sweet kid and the poor guy cares too much. He would literally do anything for Elena and I'm just waiting for him to get seriously hurt. (insert sad face here.)

The plot was okay for me, a bit choppy and fast paced. I feel like a lot of things weren't really explained, they just happened. I wouldn't really recommend this book to anyone who is in love with the television series or anyone who can't deal with stuck up MC's. If you're neither of those things go ahead and give it a shot, maybe it will be the book for you.

Purchase this book on

1 comment:

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: