Monday, August 27, 2012

If I Stay by Gayle Forman Review


Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Published: April 2nd, 2009
Book rating: 4 stars
Cover rating: 5 stars 
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...
A sophisticated, layered, and heart-achingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make, and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

If I Stay is a good read, I only had a few problems with it. I decided to read this book because for one there is a ton of hype about how amazing it is on goodreads and for two it was a book of the month for one of the book clubs I'm in. I think I expected too much from this book and that's why it only got four stars. Don't get me wrong and please do not misinterpret what I'm saying, this book is worth the read and I am very excited to read Where She Went, I definitely recommend you read it. I just feel like the way Mia was so unemotional and detached for so long in the beginning of the book wasn't realistic. To a point yes, adrenaline can cause a delay in the shock of events as traumatic as these but it seemed like it took her FOREVER to realize what had happened to her family and her. After she finally started showing some emotion to what the heck was going on this book got way good, I also loved learning more about her and Adam's relationship. The little scene where they play each other like instruments is so sweet and intimate, I loved it. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys young adult books about trauma, it does have a little bit of a love story twisted in also. It's not a huge, huge part though. I think it will be more about Adam and Mia in Where She Went! (:

Favorite Quotes

"But there's no one else like me around. Maybe the rest of them figured out how to get to Hawaii." - Mia

"I know that all the magic kisses in the world probably couldn't have helped him today. But I would do anything to have been able to give him one." - Mia

"I'm not sure this is a world I belong in anymore. I'm not sure that I want to wake up." - Mia

"I do have a point to all this," she continues. "There are like twenty people in that waiting room right now. Some of them are related to you. Some of them are not. But we're all your family." She stops now. Leans over me so that the wisps of her hair tickle my face. She kisses me on the forehead. "You still have a family, she whispers. - Kim

You can purchase this book on
Amazon | Barnes & Noble


1 comment:

  1. Great review Kylee. :) I am going to have to check this book out whenever I get the chance to.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what my fellow bloggers have to think and comments always make my day. Leave me a comment and I'll be sure to reply. (: